Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Misuse of "except" for "accept"




During a segment on a local newscast when I was living in Dallas, there was a sign behind the counter at a store. Its message: "Checks not excepted." Okay, then! What the hell does that mean?! Oh, I know! The clueless owner doesn't know the difference between accept and except.

Here are some examples of the two words used correctly:

"I can't accept the fact that she's only 30."
"Will you accept my invitation?"
"Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother."
"Checks not accepted."

"She likes all colors except red."
"Except for Monday, weekdays aren't that bad."
"That's an exception to the rule."

Still not sure which word is correct? Please post a comment below, or contact us on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment