Sunday, March 27, 2016

Misuse of "patients" for "patience"



It's usually pretty funny, albeit unintentionally, when someone misuses patients when they mean patience. The former, patients, is plural of patient, as in a person who is in the hospital because they're sick, whereas the latter, patience, has to do with the virtue of being a patient person. Here are some examples of correct usage:

"My patience has worn thin with my neighbor who hoards trash."
"Patience is a virtue!"
"You're very patient to wait for Alex to pay back the money he borrowed."

"How many patients are on the sixth floor of the hospital?"
"I love treating my patients every day at my practice."
"Patients are unpredictable at times."

Still not sure which word is correct? Please post a comment below, or contact us on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment