Friday, March 18, 2016

Misuse of "I" when it should be "me"




Somehow, over the years, there's been an unbelievable increase in the misuse of I when the correct word is me. For example, "My mother left her house to my brother and I." UGH! No, it's not I! It's ME.

I have a theory about this, but it's difficult to explain so it makes sense. Basically, I think people THINK they sound smart when they say I--but they don't realize that they actually sound really uneducated/ignorant because that's not the correct word.

This trend is so pervasive that it happens a lot on TV. For example, I'm watching the "Spin a Yarn" episode of [Gordon Ramsay's show] Kitchen Nightmares right now. Ramsay arrives at the owner's home to meet the owner's wife, Jennifer, before heading to the restaurant. Ramsay looks at a wedding photograph and asks who's in the picture. The wife responds: "Me and Saki, Saki and I." See, she KNEW it was "me" when she put that BEFORE the other person, but as soon as she swapped their placement in the sentence, she incorrectly used "I" instead!

There's a simple test I learned a million years ago that can be used to determine whether I or me is the correct choice. Simply take the other person out of the sentence! Using the example from above:

"My mother left her house to ___________ "  (I/me)

Go ahead and plug in both choices:

"My mother left her house to I."
"My mother left her house to me."

Obviously, the correct choice is me. Now add the other person back into the sentence:

"My mother left her house to my brother and me."

Voila! You're correct!

Another, even more disturbing, misuse of I happens when the person says something along these lines: "My wife and I's friends came over." REALLY?! There's no such word in the English language. You mean, "My wife's and my friends came over."

Please stop trying to sound intelligent when you're actually showing your ignorance by using I instead of me or my.

Still not sure which word is correct? Please post a comment below, or contact us on Twitter.


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on most of this pet peeve, as I replied, inappropriately, it seems, in the He/She and I section. However, in the Ramsey example you cite, while me is the current favorite usage, I is actually more grammatically correct. "Who's in the photograph?" "I am" as opposed to "me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that "I am" would be a correct response, but in one word it would be "me."

      "Who's in the picture?"
      "Me."

      or

      "Who's in the picture?"
      "I am."

      I think of it like this:

      "Who's in the picture?"
      "That would be me!" (not "That would be I!")

      Delete
  2. You just need to calm down!

    ReplyDelete