Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Misuse of "boughten" (and its past tense "boughtened") for "bought"



As previously noted, I'm a big fan of Judge Judy; I watch two episodes every day. For some unknown reason, the litigants (and their families, friends, neighbors, witnesses, etc.) who appear on the show tend to be rather low on the intelligence and education scales. So it's not terribly surprising that some of them use words that don't even exist in the English language or, if the words do exist, they're not supposed to be used the way these people use them.

One of my favorites is boughten, as in: "I went to Walmart and boughten some beer."

A variation of this is, apparently, the past tense of boughten, boughtened: "I went to Walmart and boughtened some beer."

Of course, what these double-digit IQ people don't understand is that the word they're looking for is simply bought, which is the past tense of buy:

"I occasionally go to Walmart to buy beer."
"I went to Walmart and bought some beer."

Please, trailer park rednecks, learn that bought is the word you want when you're referring to a purchase you made. Just bought. Not boughten.

Still not sure which word is correct? Please post a comment below, or contact us on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment